Sunday, January 30, 2011

applesauce up in hizzle...

It started with four apples three weeks ago...low and behold it turns out I LOVE homemade applesauce. It was gone in a day. So, the next weekend at the farmers market (yes I'm lucky enough to live by a year round fm...be jealous) we bought a crate, I mean it was more economical that way. As we began the process we realized it was time to read up on the canning book we got for Christmas, because there was NO way we could eat that much applesauce in the next week. Thus began the all day process...
By "we" read up, I mean A did and then he explained it to me...

Someone mentioned making applesauce in a crock pot, so we tried that (I mean we had enough apples to go around), as well as adding strawberries. Strawberries I'd do again, but you don't need nearly as much water, because they add a lot more water to it (we bought them frozen from the farmers market the same day). The crock pot takes longer so I wouldn't do that again.

I add cinnamon and lemon rind only, no sugar.


A few seconds in the food processor, and viola:

This is where the canning part comes in, after you make it, it has to boil:




9 quarts of homemade applesauce, two strawberry the rest original...I'm a happy duck!

No comments:

Post a Comment