Friday, October 2, 2009

oh no where did september go?

So, I've been gone for awhile, given that no one but my endearing husband reads this I'm not too worried about my fans; however, if you are interested in the WHY this is your answer:
We are in the arduous process of buying a house. Did I mention that it is tedious and frustrating? Have I said anything about how complicated a 203k loan process can be? Have a waxed poetic about the difficulty of working with HUD home inspectors? No, well let me tell you its like being the circus conductor person-thing. You know what I mean...awww, the ringleader. Seriously, if it wasn't for my handsome and extremely capable husband I'd (still) be in the gutter crying. Fortunately, when he found me there, he told me to put on my big girl panties and deal with it.

Thus, despite starting grad school, working part time, and doing 16 hours a week of internship, I am also in the process of buying a foreclosed house that needs LOTS of loving...hmmm, have I said that yet? That it is in dire straights? Here is my best example: I won't set my bag down in the house, but I will at the metro stations! Also, I always use hand sanitizer after I leave.

If you're wondering why we bought this house, its because we both had imaginary friends when we were little. Curious about the relevance? We can see the potential, and this little darling has SO, SO much. Three bedroom, two full baths, 1 half bath, basement (with knotty pine wood paneling, oh yeah, there is character), back yard with off street parking, in DC, close to a Metro, a sky light, wood floors, and that is just the bones.

But, as soon as my bebe saw this place he knew it would be good for us, and the ideas for fixing it up are just brimming over the top. Seriously, I can't wait for the papers to be signed and the construction to start. I'm sure from my description you can tell we are basically gutting it. Only one wall is coming down but the kitchen and bathrooms are gone, literally it is all coming out, there is some fine red shag carpeting to be pulled, doors and windows: replaced, walls industrial cleaner and then primer and then paint, tacky back Florida room that slants down toward the bottom: GONE (and when the second phase of construction happens a sun room will be added, but in the beginning it will just be a uncovered back porch), carport and scary shack in the back: GONE, garden needs to be planted, fun stuff happening with that wood paneling, and a brand new kitchen from floor to ceiling everything is being removed giving us so many, many options. I just can't wait.

This is just the beginning, and although I'm overwhelmed, I'm writing this all down, because I know the end result will be beautiful.

So, if I'm not around much I apologize, but it doesn't mean I'm not busy being creative or cooking. I've been doing both, but the idea of blogging is lost on me sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Oh gurl...your hubby isn't the only person that reads your blog!!!!! LOL...the house is super charming...I love it and let me know when you need another set of hands with the demolition!

    ReplyDelete