Monday, May 11, 2009

In the beginning...

I choose this famous hebrew phrase, because if it worked for God, then I'm certainly not too good for it! (If someone actually reads this you'll find I love exclamation points, even when the text doesn't call for excitement...I apologize, but not really).

I am writing a blog (duh), not because I feel people really care about my musings, but I need some accountability! I have lived all my life waiting to find my special talents...guess what I'm 24 and still waiting. Meaning, clearly I was not born exceptionally gifted in ways that I wish would come naturally. Other than I try really, really hard, people notice, feel bad for me, and let it slide. Example 1, in grade school I started dancing (Classical Ballet), I was older, taller, and had bigger feet than all the other girls, BUT people told me how good I was and allowed me to continue even though I was nothing less than mediocre (which personally speaking is FAR worse than terrible. If I'm going to fail, I want it to be COMPLETELY). Example 2, in high school I desparately wanted to be an artist, so I took classes from an extremely talented man, only to find I had zero talent, but in all three classes he kept giving me A's making me think I was good. But, then I gained prospective/asked my teacher, who told me he grades based on work ethic not actual talent...burn...it still hurts my ego. Final example, in college I thought I would be an Ancient Med. History prof, so I needed to learn Ancient Greek. I found a kind man to give me an Independent study, after a few "classes" he suggested we add additional casual meeting times, and by the end while I passed, he asked me if this was really necessary for me to get into graduate school. I giggled nervously, yes...I am starting graduate school for social work this fall.
Do you all see the pattern?

So, after all of that I'm sure you're wondering what is the purpose of this blog? Fear not, it is not going to be about the adventures of an underachiever, which I'm not. I am going to "talent myself up". Thus, this is the blog of a wanna be: crafter, scrapper, foodie, knitter, Spanish speaker, photographer and perhaps, if I'm feeling truly adventurous, sewer. Prepare yourself, people, for probable disaster, laughter, and hopfully something cool. I don't expect to be all of these by the end (no, I don't have a clue when the ominous "end" will be), but God willing one of them will stick!

10/13/09 *CHANGE OF PLANS: i AM NO LONGER TRYING TO BE AND DO ALL OF THAT STUFF. WHO WAS I KIDDING? I'VE STARTED GRAD SCHOOL AND I'M BUYING A HOUSE THAT NEEDS LOVE. THE ONLY OTHER THING I WILL BE DOING IS BAKING, BECAUSE IT KEEPS ME SANE!

No comments:

Post a Comment